30 Nov 20 Things to Do Right Now to Relieve Anxiety & Shift Your Mood!
Inflation, stress, and anxiety are so high right now. When we feel anxious, there is pent-up energy that needs to be released. When I work with people doing subconscious change facilitation, I often have them create a list of things that help them feel better immediately. Then, if they feel their spirits or thoughts dipping into what one of my clients jokingly calls her “death spiral” they can refer to the list and do one of the things on it.
The trick is to catch it early. We only have about 17 seconds to catch ourselves before our negative thoughts start compounding and we find ourselves in a heavy place. So first we need to practice noticing our reactions, feelings, and inner alignment so that we can tell when something’s off right away.
If we can catch ourselves quickly, and do something to disperse the energy, we can shift our energy immediately to remain balanced, or to feel even better than we did before.
I invite you to create YOUR list. Filled with the things that you like to do that help you feel better right away. Post the list on your refrigerator or bathroom mirror; somewhere that you can see often and find easily. If you notice yourself slipping into a negative state, do something on the list. If that doesn’t work, do the next thing until you feel neutral, or even better, until you feel good!
Here’s a list of ideas to get you started. Create your own list of 20 and put it up today.
- Go outside to get some sunshine (or moonlight!). Look at the clouds/sky
- Listen to music and sing along with it
- Meditate or use a mindfulness app
- Take a walk in nature
- Take a walk in nature with a friend
- Write in your journal
- Take a long, warm bath (+Epsom Salt is nice too)
- Take a hot OR cold shower (or start with 3 min cold, then go to hot)
- Have a dance party in your living room with your favorite song
- Stretch or do some yoga
- Breathe in for 5 counts, hold for 5, breathe out for 5, hold for 5, and repeat x 5
- Read a book
- Work in the garden
- Listen to nature sounds like ocean waves or a babbling brook on a music app
- Do something creative like art, writing, or playing an instrument
- Go for a drive
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken with in a while
- Play with the kids in your life
- Color in a coloring book or downloaded coloring sheets
- Light a candle or use aromatherapy scents
- Use a self-massage tool
- Make a list of 10 things you’re grateful for in your life
- Watch the sunrise or sunset (if it’s around that time)
- Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee
- Watch cute animal videos
- Send a note, letter, text, or email to someone you care about
And the most important thing? You’ve got to notice when you’re dive bombing and DO something on your list!
As you practice this consistently, choosing things that enliven you rather than deplete you, you will most likely get really good at remaining in a peaceful state for longer periods of time. And when you downshift, it feels so discordant that you course correct pretty quickly because peace feels so much better and you know how to do it.
Doing (or not doing) things can uplift our state, but I think it’s also important to note that TRUE FREEDOM is learning to cultivate a state of contentment within. So that ultimately, you self-generate this state. This is some master-level sh!t! Become so practiced at the feeling that you can remember it, send the signals through your body that you are experiencing it, and – whoah…..it’s there!
Now this is something that no one and nothing can take away from you.
Let me know how it goes!
- The Deepest Pain Can Lead to the Greatest Ecstasy - December 1, 2022
- 20 Things to Do Right Now to Relieve Anxiety & Shift Your Mood! - November 30, 2022
- Smoky Portobello Mushroom Tacos from Evergreen Kitchen - May 28, 2020