04 Dec Harissa Cauliflower Steaks
As a vegan, it’s sometimes challenging to create a main dish that’s a real show-stopper for both meat and non-meat eaters alike. This one takes the stage! You’ll fall head over heels for the flavors in this cauliflower steak. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
(1 head of cauliflower serves 2 people as a main dish).
Harissa Cauliflower Steak Recipe:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 3/4 cup + 2 teaspoons water (plus extra, to thin), divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice*
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Set aside a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prepare cauliflower by trimming away any green leaves. With the cauliflower sitting on it’s stem, use a knife to slice it in half. Cut one thick slice from either side – so that you have two “steaks”, each about 1 ½” (4 cm) thick. Set cauliflower steaks aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil, and once hot, add cauliflower steaks. Let them sear, undisturbed, for 3-3 ½ minutes on each side (cooking for approximately 6-7 minutes total). Remove once they’ve developed a golden crust on either side. While the cauliflower cooking you can assemble the harissa glaze. In a small bowl combine 2 teaspoons water, maple syrup, paprika, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Mix well. Once the cauliflower is seared, transfer steaks to lined baking sheet. Brush harissa glaze on both sides, coating all the nooks and crannies. Put them in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
Recipe reposted from Evergreen Kitchen
Advanced PSYCH-K® Facilitator, Emotion Code Practitioner, M.A. Counseling/Marriage & Family Therapy, 500HR Yoga Instructor and Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider