08 Aug Vegan Morning Glory Muffins
Healthy muffins that sustain you and make you feel good when you eat them? YES PLEASE!!! Great breakfast or easy pre or post yoga snack.
makes 12 muffins
2 C whole wheat flour
1 C brown sugar (you can substitute honey if you like)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 C peeled and grated organic carrots
2 organic apples, cored, grated (I use the skin too)
1/2 C shredded unsweetened coconut (Trader Joe’s has a good one)
1/2 C chopped walnuts
3 Tbs ground flax + 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbs water refrigerated for 20 min (this replaces eggs)
1/3 Cup oil of your choosing (if you want to go oil-free, you can use a total of 2/3 C of the prune puree. It’s a great substitute!)
1/3 Cup of prune puree (use a small blender to mix 4 or 5 dried prunes with water until the consistency of applesauce – this should be enough, but depends on how big your prunes are)
2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbs orange juice
1/2 C raisins soaked in hot water for 10 min, then drained
- Mix ground flax with water and put in the fridge (20 min)
- Soak raisins in hot water (10 min)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- You can use paper muffin liners or grease the pan
- Combine flour, baking soda, spices and salt with a whisk
- In separate bowl mix wet ingredients (vanilla, orange juice, prune puree or oil) with sugar.
- Add carrots, apple, coconut and nuts
- Add to the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened
- Drain the raisins and fold them in
- Fill your muffin tins – they can be close to full
- Bake for 20-25 min until they are domed in the center and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 min in the pan on a rack, then on the rack without the pan.
My whole family loved them, and we made some for the neighbors too. Hope you like them as much as we do!
- Smoky Portobello Mushroom Tacos from Evergreen Kitchen - May 28, 2020
- Covid Query, Connection, & Creativity - March 25, 2020
- Want to Experience A Massive Shift? Quit the Blame Game! - February 2, 2020