11 Aug VEGAN THAI STYLE LETTUCE WRAPS
Posted at 14:39h in Articles, Healthy Recipes 2 Comments
As some of you know, I’m recently vegan (I think it’s the best way to ward off cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity), but I’ve struggled a bit finding the type of nutrient dense vegan meals that give me high energy and mental clarity. Now I know a lot more about what my body needs to maintain this healthy diet. This recipe for Vegan Thai Style Lettuce Wraps is one of those meals that makes me feel great. I hope that you try it out and see how it makes YOU feel!
VEGAN THAI STYLE LETTUCE WRAPS
- 1/3 Cup tamari
- 1 ½ to 3 Tbs pure maple syrup (or honey if you’re not strict vegan), to taste
- 3 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 & 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 Cups diced carrot
- 1 & 1/2 Cup diced celery
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup raw pecan halves, briefly pulsed in a food processor
Wraps and garnishes
- 1 head butter lettuce, individual leaves carefully removed
- Garnish options:
- Chopped cilantro or basil leaves
- Julienned raw carrots
- Siracha sauce
- Sliced raw jalepeno
- Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, syrup (or honey), vinegar, ginger and garlic until well blended.
- Filling: In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the carrot, celery, and onion and cover with the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then cover and allow the vegetables to cook until fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat, bringing the sauce to a boil. Allow the sauce to boil until the liquid has condensed and almost evaporated (this took about 15 to 20 minutes for me), then remove from heat. Add the pulsed pecan pieces and stir well to coat. Let the mixture marinate for 5 minutes, then scoop into butter lettuce leaves and top with favorite garnishes.
Serving Idea: white basmati rice from CA, Pakistan or India, as these have the lowest arsenic levels. To reduce arsenic levels by 80%:
- Soak rice overnight and rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Cook with 5 parts water and pour off the excess water after the rice is done.
Latest posts by Kelli Russell (see all)
- The Deepest Pain Can Lead to the Greatest Ecstasy - December 1, 2022
- 20 Things to Do Right Now to Relieve Anxiety & Shift Your Mood! - November 30, 2022
- Smoky Portobello Mushroom Tacos from Evergreen Kitchen - May 28, 2020
Jenny HarkleroadPosted at 20:51h, 16 August
I can’t wait to try these!!! Thanks for sharing.
Kelli RussellPosted at 18:27h, 19 September
They are so good!